facebook

...

Odisha's Nabrangpur district declared 'Naxal-free'

Nabrangpur district in Odisha is now free of Naxal activity. This follows the surrender of nine Maoists, including seven women, in neighbouring Chhattisgarh. These individuals carried a bounty of Rs 47 lakh. Their operations spanned Nabrangpur and Chhattisgarh's Dhamtari district. This development aligns with the Centre's goal to eliminate Left-Wing Extremism nationwide.

The Economic Times 24 Jan 2026 11:56 am

Nine Naxalites with Rs 47 lakh bounty surrender in Chhattisgarhs Dhamtari

Nine Naxalites surrendered in Chhattisgarh's Dhamtari district. The group included seven women and carried rewards totaling Rs 47 lakh. They cited disillusionment with Maoist ideology and forest life hardships. The state government's rehabilitation policy also influenced their decision. This development marks a significant blow to Maoist activities in the region. Authorities continue efforts to encourage further surrenders.

The Economic Times 23 Jan 2026 11:21 pm

Nine Maoists Carrying Rs 47 Lakh Reward Surrender In Chhattisgarhs Dhamtari

9 Maoists including Jyoti and Usha surrendered in Dhamtari, Chhattisgarh, giving up arms and 47 lakh bounty, citing disillusionment and praising the states rehabilitation policy.

News18 23 Jan 2026 4:47 pm

9 Maoists, Carrying Total Bounty Of Rs 47 Lakh, Surrender In Chhattisgarh

Nine Maoists carrying a cumulative reward of Rs 47 lakh surrendered before police in Chhattisgarh's Dhamtari district on Friday, a senior official said.

NDTV 23 Jan 2026 4:19 pm

After breach in two dams, Centres show-cause notice to Chhattisgarh on safety norms

NEW DELHI: Following safety breach in two dams in Chhattisgarh, the Centre has issued a show-cause notice to the state government over its failure to comply with the provisions of the Dam Safety Act of 2021. The latest notice, served by the National Dam Safety Authority (NDSA), relates to the breach of Rajadera dam in Dhamtari district on November 2. The breach raised concerns over public safety and infrastructure governance, as a large volume of stored water rushed out, causing flooding in several villages and damaging standing paddy crops. The notice demands an explanation from the state within 30 days, or else legal action will be initiated under Sections 41 and 42 of the Dam Safety Act, 2021, officials said. On September 2, the state experienced another dam failure at Luti Tank, which resulted in the loss of five lives and left a dozen people missing, in addition to damage to property and livestock. During that incident, the NDSA raised questions about the systemic compliance with dam safety norms. During a pre-monsoon inspection, NDSA found multiple operational deficiencies in Rajadera dam and directed the state to address them immediately. Inspectors noted issues such as deformation and instability in both the upstream and downstream areas, presence of unwanted vegetation and animal burrows on embankment slopes, cracks on the dam crest, and degraded slope protection. There were also problems with drainage and structural integrity. The notice stated, Despite documented warning signs, no effective remedial measures were undertaken prior to the monsoon.

The New Indian Express 29 Dec 2025 7:57 am

Chhattisgarh family forced to 'reconvert' to Hinduism after locals oppose alleged Christian burial

RAIPUR: A deceased woman's family was forced to 'reconvert' to Hinduism after locals objected to her burial allegedly according to Christian customs in Borai village of Chhattisgarh's Dhamtari district. The latest incident comes just a few days after communal clashes broke out due to a dispute over a 'Christian burial' in Amabeda village of Kanker district. Locals claimed that the deceased woman, Punia Sahu (65), supposedly converted to Christianity and had been attending prayers at the Church. While the woman's family was preparing for her funeral, villagers reportedly backed by a Hindutva brigade began protesting against her burial. When the family tried to take the body to a different burial ground, villagers once again protested and demanded that the family perform last rites in accordance with Hindu customs. The land dug up for burial was refilled with soil, and the body was safeguarded by the family for a day and a half. Only after the family finally agreed to conduct last rites according to Hindu customs, a dignified burial was allowed. The district administration along with the police swung into action to prevent the situation turning volatile as Thursday was a Christmas day and the tension prevailed in the region. All disputes were sorted out, and the burial was conducted this morning (Friday) as per Hindu rituals with the agreement from the samaj pramukh (community leaders), Dhamtari district police chief Suraj Singh Parihar told TNIE . A local town inspector camping at Borai village, Narendra Singh, said that the deceased woman belonged to the Sahu community which has a tradition of burying the body. He said that in this incident, the issue was the woman's alleged conversion to Christianity. The district administration and police intervened to pacify the agitated villagers, and helped the family to work out an amicable solution. The administration was on alert mode, Singh said. Following the setting ablaze of two churches during the violence that flared up in Kanker district on December 18, Senior Superintendent of Police Indira Kalyan Elisila was shifted to Sarguja as DIG Chhattisgarh Armed Force (CAF).

The New Indian Express 26 Dec 2025 9:26 pm

41 Maoists with a cumulative bounty of Rs 1.19 crore surrender in Bijapur

RAIPUR: A total of 41 Maoist cadres carrying a cumulative award of Rs 1.19 crore surrendered in an edgy district of Bijapur, about 400 km south of Raipur, on Wednesday. Twelve among the 41 are women cadres who took a decision to renounce the armed and violent ideology of CPI (Maoist), joined the path of peace and progress under the Poona Margham - Rehabilitation to Rebirth initiative in Bastar division, the police said. As many as 39 Maoist cadres were from the South Sub-Zonal Bureau. In addition to those Naxalites belonging to the Dandakaranya Special Zonal Committee (DKSZC), the cadres who surrendered were also from the Telangana State Committee and the Dhamtari-Gariaband-Nuapad division. Citing their frustration over the hollow ideology of the banned outfit and impressed by the governments rehabilitation policy, they decided to join the mainstream, the officer added. 28 Maoists including 19 women cadres surrender in Chhattisgarhs Narayanpur According to the Bijapur district police press release, the surrendered Red rebels included five members of the PLGA (Peoples' Liberation Guerrilla Army) battalion and different companies, three Area Committee Members, eleven Platoon and Area Committee Party members, four Militia Platoon Commanders, six Militia Platoon Commanders and other lower rung members. Official legal procedures are being carried out for the rehabilitation and reintegration of the surrendered cadres into society. Poona Margham has turned into a significant step toward lasting peace and positive transformation in the Bastar region. Under the Poona Margham, the Maoists are increasingly choosing the path of peace, dignity, and sustainable progress, said Sundarraj Pattilingam, Inspector General of Police, Bastar Range. This year in Bijapur district alone, as many as 144 Maoist cadres have been eliminated in various encounters, 528 were arrested, and 560 surrendered before the police. Since the BJP came to power in December 2023 in Chhattisgarh, around 2,300 Maoists have surrendered in the state.

The New Indian Express 26 Nov 2025 7:43 pm

41 Naxalites surrender in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur; 32 of them carried Rs 1.19 crore bounty

BIJAPUR: Forty one Naxalites, 32 of them collectively carrying a reward of Rs 1.19 crore on their heads, surrendered in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur district on Wednesday, officials said. The cadres, including 12 women, turned themselves in before senior police officials here, citing they were impressed by the government's new surrender and rehabilitation policy and Poona Margham (rehabilitation for social reintegration drive of Bastar range police), Bijapur Superintendent of Police Jitendra Kumar Yadav said. Among them, four were members of PLGA (People's Liberation Guerrilla Army) battalion no.1 and different companies of Maoists, three of area committees, 11 platoon and area committee party members, two PLGA members, four militia platoon commanders, one deputy commander, six militia platoon members, and the remaining belonged to frontal outfits of outlawed CPI (Maoist), he said. Thirty-nine of these 41 cadres belonged to the south sub-zonal bureau of Maoists. They all were associated with the Dandakaranya special zonal committee, Telangana state committee, and the Dhamtari-Gariaband-Nuapada divisions of the banned outfit, the official said. The surrendered cadres have expressed faith in the Constitution and pledged to live a dignified and secure life within the democratic framework. Under the rehabilitation policy, each cadre was given an immediate financial assistance of Rs 50,000 as an incentive, he said. Among those who surrendered, Pandru Hapka alias Mohan (37), Bandi Hapka (35), Lakkhu Korsa (37), Badru Punem (35), Sukhram Hemla (27), Manjula Hemla (25), Mangali Madvi alias Shanti (29), Jairam Kadiyam (28) and Pando Madkam alias Chandni (35) carried a reward of Rs 8 lakh each, he said. Besides, three cadres carried a bounty of Rs 5 lakh each, 12 cadres Rs 2 lakh each, and 8 cadres Rs 1 lakh each, he said. Yadav said the state government's rehabilitation policy has been encouraging Maoists to give up violence and return to the mainstream. He appealed to the remaining Maoists to abandon the path of violence. Maoists should shed misleading and violent ideologies and return to society without fear. The 'Poona Margham' drive ensures a secure, respectable, and self-reliant future for those who surrender, he said. With this surrender, a total of 790 Maoist cadres have quit violence and joined the mainstream in the district since January 2024, the SP said. During the same period, 202 Naxalites were killed in separate encounters and 1,031 cadres arrested in the district, he said. More than 2,200 Naxalites, including top cadres, have surrendered in Chhattisgarh in the last 23 months, according to police. Naxalites quitting path of violence, joining mainstream of development: President Murmu

The New Indian Express 26 Nov 2025 2:19 pm

Seven Maoist cadres, including four women, surrender in Chhattisgarh under state rehab policy

RAIPUR: In an apparent promising outcome causing a jolt to an active regional Udanti Area Committee of banned CPI (Maoist) in the forested terrain of Gariaband district in eastern Chhattisgarh, the entire seven hardcore members associated with it have surrendered, police officials said on Saturday. Those who renounced the banned outfit belonged to the Udanti Area Committee under the Gariaband-Dhamtari-Nuapada division and were active for over a decade. They were involved in several violent incidents in the region from 2018 onwards, carrying a combined reward of Rs 37 lakh. The secretary of Udanti Area Committee had earlier expressed their readiness to shun the path of armed movement, Nikhil Rakhecha, Gariaband district police chief, told TNIE . The cadres, including four women who surrendered, have been identified as Arjita Tekam alias Suresha, Budhru alias Anita, Sule alias Jagat Singh, Vidhya Sodi alias Jamli, Kanti alias Mavali, Nandni, and Mallesh. They narrated how gradually they realised the hollow, anti-development ideology of the Maoist organisation and were yearning for a dignified life. They surrendered before the police on Friday evening. The district police are hopeful that the remaining Maoist cadres in the region will equally respond positively and have issued a mobile phone number of Maoist Cell-Gariaband for the Naxalites wishing to lay down their arms. The surrendered cadres, besides the initial financial incentive, will get an opportunity to undergo skill training or set up a small business, provided with housing and healthcare among other amenities under the new surrender rehabilitation policy of the state. Gariaband, adjoining Odisha state, is among the Maoist-affected districts of Chhattisgarh. The Udanti Area Committee covers adjoining regions along the Chhattisgarh-Odisha border.

The New Indian Express 8 Nov 2025 1:28 pm

Did It Because Of Her Parents: 22-Year-Old Man Kills Wife, Dies By Suicide

A 22-year-old man allegedly killed his wife and later died by suicide after posting a confession on Instagram in Dhamtari district of Chhattisgarh, police said on Wednesday.

NDTV 22 Oct 2025 4:46 pm